Janet Sellery: One-time stage manager, now Olympic health-and-safety guru
Building on her experience managing health and safety for the Opening, Closing and Victory Ceremonies for the Vancouver 2012 Winter Olympics, Janet is recognized as one of Canada’s leading experts in health and safety for the arts.
A respected industry expert
Before opening her own consultancy, Janet spent nine years pioneering a health and safety program for the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. This program is now recognized as the “gold standard” in theatres across Canada.
She’s also consulted for “Safe Stages” (Alberta), and served on several high-profile advisory committees, including:
- Live performance Advisory Committee (Ontario Ministry of Labour)
- Services Sector Advisory Committee (Workplace Safety & Insurance Board)
- Office and Related Services Advisory Committee (Ontario Service Safety Alliance)
An experienced stage manager
Prior to moving into the health and safety field, Janet spent 14 years as a working stage manager. Her resume includes over 30 productions at the prestigious Stratford Shakespeare Festival, and many others in theatres across Canada.
Having been both a Worker and Management member of the Joint Health & Safety Committee, she is equally comfortable advocating for workers and guiding employers.
Her experience helps her understand where you are coming from, and her expertise helps you to get where you need to go.
Education and credentials
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Certified Health & Safety Consultant (CHSC)
- Certificate, Occupational Health & Safety – Ryerson University
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology – University of Waterloo (Dean’s Honour List)
- Diploma, Technical/Production Theatre – Ryerson Theatre School
Honours and awards
- 2007 Health and Safety Manager of the Year (Canadian Occupational Safety Magazine)
Janet is passionately committed to injury and illness prevention through risk assessment and health and safety education.